Tuesday, September 13, 2011

And Miss Universe 2011 is... Miss Angola!

Photo: Andre Penner/AP Photo

Hey hey, smutlings! So did anyone catch the Miss Universe Pageant last night? Well, I was truly surprised that it snuck up on me so quicky; I had completely forgotten about it in the wake of the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Anywhoo, one of the gay stereotypes that I completely subscribe to is that of beauty pageants. Yes, I LOVE them: I thrive on their superficiality and their gloss and glam; the contestants' vaseline-enhanced gleaming smiles hiding their seething rage and jealousy when someone else's name gets called instead of their own... and who doesn't love it when a poor contestant walks the runway in a god-AWFUL dress or completely flubs the all-important final question?!

Well last night was no exception. So the big winner of the night was the stunning 25 yr-old Leila Lopes of Angola, who fittingly took the title of Miss Universe ahead of runner-up Miss Ukraine, 23 yr-old Olesia Stefanko. Rounding out the Top 5 were Miss Brazil (not surprising, since Sao Paulo Brazil was hosting the pageant), Miss Philippines, and Miss China. Although I agree as to who made it to the Top 10, I was totally shocked that Miss Venezuela and Miss Puerto Rico did NOT make it in! WOW. Venezuela and Puerto Rico ALWAYS make it in! Does this mean that we're one step closer to the apocalypse? Whatever. What did surprise me was the Asian representation in last night's Top 5; yes, both Miss China and Miss Philippines made it in. Does that mean Southeast Asia is like the new Latin America when it comes to beauty pageants? Hmm...

So what did you think of the Miss Universe Pageant? Comment below! Or tweet me @ScienceOfSmut on Twitter!

1 comment:

  1. I watched it too! I thought it was a bit disrepecful to the audience that although Miss Venezuela got a 9.1 in the top 16 (way more than the closest contendant at 7.0 (Philippines) she still didnt make it. I think the judges were told 'get rid of Venezuela' early as they may have been afraid of her winning. The former 3 Miss Universes were from Venezuela (2008 and 2009) and Mexico (2011) so it would have been bad if another Latina would have won. I love Angola though! I am happy for her!

    L

    ReplyDelete