Monday, October 18, 2010

KFC Double Down comes to Canada. Cardiologists lament.


Hey hey, smutlings! As many of my close friends know, I absolutely adore fried chicken. Heck, I'd even go on record to say that fried chicken is my culinary kryptonite; that is, it's my dietary weakness. I can't resist eating it if it's in the same room as me. Nothing comes close to the taste of it in my opinion. Sometimes I yearn for that deep fried goodness at weird hours of the night. I am a fried chicken addict. And here's another shocking revelation for you smutlings; bacon is probably my second fave taste. So the notion of throwing fried chicken and bacon together is like an orgasmic taste explosion of epic proportions in my books.

And so the fast food lords of the underworld have heard my lustful thoughts and delivered their latest junkfood demon to steal away my hard-earned cash and replace it with artery-clogging sinfulness. Yes, the controversial KFC Double Down sandwich will be making its Canadian fast food debut TODAY, October 18. The sandwich made its Stateside bow back in April to much hoopla and debate, and it has become KFC's most successful sandwich to date. And now it has crossed the border and invaded our nation and soon, our waistlines.

So for those of you who haven't been keeping up on your fast food news, the KFC Double Down is a sandwich comprised of two slices of bacon, two slices of pepperjack cheese and special sauce encased between TWO fried chicken breasts. Yes. No bun. Just fried chicken.

As grotesque as that sounds, it does have less calories and fat than a Burger King Whopper (540 calories and 30 grams of fat versus the Whopper's 670 calories and 40 grams of fat), and equal in calories and close to the same fat content as a Big Mac (which has 29 grams of fat). And no bun means less carbs (like that really matters if you actually decide to eat this thing!). However, it has a crazy amount of salt: 1380 milligrams of sodium per sandwich! That's nearly the daily recommended intake of 1500 milligrams!

Ouch. I think I'm having chest pains. And I haven't even tried the sandwich yet!

Still, this sandwich looks sinfully delicious not to pass up at least one try. Combining two forbidden foods that I LOVE, plus cheese?! You know I'll be taking the plunge, even if it comes at the expense of my dignity and my arteries...

images courtesy of KFC/Yum! Brands Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment